[X4U] Safari Bookmarks Bar Items (was: OS 10.3.9)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 16:56:22 PDT 2005

On 04/19/05, Jim Freeman <jpfreeman at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure about "whenever you apply an OS X update". I've applied
> many an update and this is the first times I've seen the extra bookmarks.
>
> On 16-Apr-05, at 10:53 PM, John Baltutis wrote:
>> On 04/16/05, Jim Freeman <jpfreeman at mac.com> wrote:
>>> Now I have a bunch of new favorites in my Safari bookmarks bar: Apple,
>>> Amazon, .Mac, Yahoo
>>>
>>> Where did that come from?
>>
>> Standard default set whenever you apply an OS X update. Open
>> bookmarks->Bookmarks Bar and select + DELETE, and they're gone.

While beta-testing 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3, I reported this behavior, and
engineering responded: "Safari will add any default bookmarks that were
added since the last version of Safari you used. New users get the entire
set of default bookmarks. If you don't like the new bookmarks you can
remove them. There's no way for us to tell which users do and don't want
these bookmarks, and the UI for letting Safari know is deleting them in the
normal way you'd delete any other bookmark." That includes any defaults
associated with the Bookmarks Bar.