[X4U] Default application association problem.

Preston Kutzner grdnwsl at mrichi.com
Wed Apr 20 08:57:13 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 09:42 -0500, Michael Winter wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Preston Kutzner wrote:
>
> > The next part of this problem is that Thunderbird, for some reason, has
> > Acrobat Reader 6.0 set as the default application for opening pdf
> > files.
> > I had assumed it was using the system default for that file type, so I
> > went in and changed the default application to be Preview.  This works
> > through finder and any other application that gets it's program
> > association information from the OS.  However, even after changing the
> > global default, Thunderbird still attempts to open any pdf's attached
> > an email with Reader 6.0.  I have even tried installing 7.0 on these
> > systems, but it won't let go of the 6.0 association.
>
> I don't have Thunderbird, but I'm guessing you need to open the
> preferences for Thunderbird and change the default application there.
>
> Apple had flip-flopped a couple times over the years in wether every
> application should keep track of "helper apps" itself, or refer to a
> global set of preferences. So I wouldn't be surprised to see an
> occasional app using its own set of file-application associations
> instead of deferring to the OS.

See, the weird thing is that there are no app-level preferences that
I've found for this.  I've already checked out the mime-types section of
the preferences in the app, and there's no entry for .pdf files, which
is why I'm a little confused as to where it's getting its association
information from.