[X4U] DVD regions code

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Wed Apr 20 11:43:11 PDT 2005

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Ean Kingston wrote:
>
>> BTW if you think region codes suck, you really need to read about the
>> new
>> HD-DVD proposed encoding. Not only will there be region codes, there
>> will
>> also be DVD player codes. So, if you got the wrong DVD player you aren't
>> going to be able to play a DVD just because they decided you need a
>> different DVD player.
>
> Hopefully that will go over like a lead balloon in the marketplace and the
> content providers will change their ways.... (we can hope, can't we?)

Unfortunately, the DVD player manufacturers are already on-side with this
one. The are under the impression that it will somehow prevent ripping and
sharing of DVD media.

It is definitely going to make trouble for 'unlicensed' DVD player
software (like mplayer/Xmplayer).

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org