[X4U] Password Expiration?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 21 14:43:48 PDT 2005

On 04/21/05, Peter Krug <pkrug at mac.com> wrote:

> Alright folks,  this is a biggie and I need your help.  I work in a
> diagnostic/research lab and we all use macs for day-to-day operations.
> However, the university that we work at has been doing a HIPPA/IT audit
> and said that any computer with patient information must have its
> password expire every 120 days.
>
> I looked this over:
> http://www.bombich.com/mactips/activedir.html
>
> but I don't have any active directory experience, so I think maybe a
> standalone utility is a better option.
>
> This web site says no:
> http://diveintoosx.org/faq/
>
> But I'm hoping they are wrong.

What's your LAN configuration? Which computers and OS Xs? Is there a server
involved? According to <http://diveintoosx.org/faq/>, Mac OS X Server
doesn't support password expiration. Not  according to
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151419>: "Apple has built
an open, extensible directory services architecture, called Open Directory,
into MacOSX and MacOSX Server. ŠOpen Directory can also enforce such
policies as password expiration and minimum length."

Many questions before there can be answers.