[X4U] Firmware 4.2.8 install went sour- no ethernet or USB after install

Andrew J. Yon III ayon2 at sc.rr.com
Sat Apr 23 05:28:29 PDT 2005

   I decided to upgrade a G4 Gigabit ethernet dual 500 mhz, 10.3.8, 1 GB
RAM, firmware 4.1.9 with a Gigadesigns  original dual 1.33 GHZ
processor. The documentation that came with the kit said updating to
firmware 4.2.8 was necessary. I  downloaded the update from Apple's
site using my LAN network on Cable roadrunner. After first running disk
permissions repair, I booted to 9.1 and did the firmware update to
4.2.8. It completed with a message saying the install was successful .
I rebooted to 10.3.8 only to find that the USB ports and the ethernet
ports now no longer work at all. I put in the dual 1.3's and they
perform as advertised. huge speed increase, however : still no USB or
ethernet. I put everything back to stock : 128 MB RAM, dual 500, empty
PCI slots , and etc.  Still no USB or ethernet. I zapped the PRAM at
least 10 times. no avail. I did CUDA reset, no avail. I pulled the
battery, AC cord and pushed the power button, then reinstalled battery
and rebooted. No avail. Pulled the battery and left it set overnite. No
avail. I have googled and Apple knowledge based till my eyes are
bloodshot and my fingers are sore. no avail. All I can find under the
problems with firmware updating is with Video and Audio. Nowhere do I
find where USB and ethernet stops working after the update.  When I try
to redo the firmware update, I tells me that I already have 4.2.8 and
the installers quits. I have done hundreds of firmware updates but have
never heard or experienced this resulting problem.

Any ideas.

Andy3