[X4U] How To Anti-Encode Audio File

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Sat Apr 23 11:07:47 PDT 2005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 13:46, Dave Checkman wrote:

> I went ahead and encoded an audio file in AIFF format into MP3 (using
> iTunes). Now I'm stuck. I didn't leave myself a copy of the original
> AIFF and I need it.
>
> Is there a way (a free way, hopefully) of taking this MP3 file and
> encoding it back into AIFF.

You mean, decode it. No prob: Choose AIFF in the iTunes pref Importing
panel, then select the file in iTunes and choose Advanced > Convert
Selection to AIFF.

But, what's the point? These days, most audio editors can convert MP3
on the fly (via QuickTime, if no other way), and so do CD burning
utilities when writing audio CDs. Moreover, MP3 is a lossy format, so
the converted AIFF is not going to be any better in quality than the
MP3 itself, which can be edited with such utilities as MP3 Trimmer
<http://www.deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/>.
<0x0192>