[X4U] Firmware 4.2.8 install went sour- no ethernet or USB after install

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Apr 23 12:13:41 PDT 2005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 8:28 AM, "Andrew J. Yon III" <ayon2 at sc.rr.com> wrote:

>   I decided to upgrade a G4 Gigabit ethernet dual 500 mhz, 10.3.8, 1
> GB RAM, firmware 4.1.9 with a Gigadesigns  original dual 1.33 GHZ
> processor. The documentation that came with the kit said updating to
> firmware 4.2.8 was necessary. I  downloaded the update from Apple's
> site using my LAN network on Cable roadrunner. After first running
> disk permissions repair, I booted to 9.1 and did the firmware update
> to 4.2.8. It completed with a message saying the install was
> successful . I rebooted to 10.3.8 only to find that the USB ports and
> the ethernet ports now no longer work at all. I put in the dual 1.3's
> and they perform as advertised. huge speed increase, however : still
> no USB or ethernet. I put everything back to stock : 128 MB RAM, dual
> 500, empty PCI slots , and etc.  Still no USB or ethernet. I zapped
> the PRAM at least 10 times. no avail. I did CUDA reset, no avail. I
> pulled the battery, AC cord and pushed the power button, then
> reinstalled battery and rebooted. No avail. Pulled the battery and
> left it set overnite. No avail. I have googled and Apple knowledge
> based till my eyes are bloodshot and my fingers are sore. no avail.
> All I can find under the problems with firmware updating is with Video
> and Audio. Nowhere do I find where USB and ethernet stops working
> after the update.  When I try to redo the firmware update, I tells me
> that I already have 4.2.8 and the installers quits. I have done
> hundreds of firmware updates but have never heard or experienced this
> resulting problem.

Maybe it's time to run your Apple Hardware Test program and find out how
things are really working or not. BTW, I have a stock G4, 450 MP,
Gigabit,1.5 GB RAM and System Profiler shows Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1. I
installed the G4 FW Update 4.2.8 soon after its release in October, 2001
and didn't experience any of your problems. What does System Profiler show
for your machine?