[X4U] How To Anti-Encode Audio File

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Sun Apr 24 11:25:33 PDT 2005

On Apr 24, 2005, at 13:45, Dave Checkman wrote:

> Well, the verdict is unanimous. Easier to squeeze the toothpaste out
> than ...

Well, actually is like if you had an original print of a well known
book, autographed by the author, and decide to make color xerox copies
of it, then burn the original.  Sure, you have a good looking copy
that'll probably last longer, but it is not exactly the same as the
original, certainly is not worth the same; and no matter how much you
try, you will not get the original back from the copy.

> Nonetheless, one would think that software producers would more
> closely attend to providing "fail-safe" measures in case of user
> stupidity like mine. Somehow, the whole area involving audio/video
> processing seems especially to cry out for that. Why, for example,
> don't these producers automatically make "backups" at each audio
> processing user decision point? (Sure, it takes a lot of HD space. So
> let the user decide whether to enable this function.)

Most tools keep the original when they convert files to a different
format, I know at least iTunes does.  And when you went to delete the
AIFF file after converting it, it should have asked you to confirm it.
And even then, it should have gone into your Trash bucket (I
believe)...

	dZ.