[X4U] USB printer sharing for Canon MP780 all-in-one

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Mon Apr 25 07:15:34 PDT 2005

I have to use my Amazon electronics purchase $150 rebate by today. I've been
thinking of buying the Canon MP780 all-in-one because I don't have a FAX
machine, and it's reportedly an excellent color printer with duplex
capability built in.

However, it has two shortcomings:

1. It's not Rendezvous-discoverable (I think other Macs on my LAN can print
to it through USB printer sharing).

2. It doesn't have voice-fax auto-switching.

I think I can live with number 2. What I'm wondering is whether the Mac to
which it's connected must be "awake" for USB printer sharing to work? Does
anyone know the answer to this.

My other option is the HP 2710, but it's not rated as being as good a color
printer, and I've read LOTS of grumbling about HPs poor Mac drivers.

Jim Robertson