[X4U] Using Safari For FTP Access

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue Apr 26 05:26:39 PDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 21:11, revDAVE wrote:

> Currently - when I type an FTP address into safari 1.2.4
>
> ftp://cooldomain.com
>
> -  it jumps to Internet explorer and attempts to open it from there...
>
> -  my friends tell me - that for them - when they type a safari ftp
> address
> -  it opens a cool window in the Finder

Some Mac OS X features make one wonder what they were smoking in
Cupertino... You have to use Safari to set the default browser to
something else, you have to use Mail to set the defaul mail client to
something else... and you have to use Internet Explorer to set the
default ftp client. Your setting is to use IE as ftp client. Go to IE >
Preferences > Network > Protocol Helpers and change the ftp to Finder.
Alternatively, you can try Default App

<http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/>

However, Finder as ftp client has limited capabilities. IMHO, you'd be
better off using Fetch, Transmit, or Interarchy.

<0x0192>