[X4U] Save .mov files

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Tue Apr 26 07:46:59 PDT 2005

> On Tuesday, April 26, 2005, at 06:35AM, Eugene
> <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 05:51:10AM CDT, Peter Krug <pkrug at mac.com> wrote:
>>: On Apr 25, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Neil wrote:
>>: >on 7/8/04 10:51 AM, Peter Krug wrote:
>>: >
>>: >>I searched in the finder for Visible and Invisible items, Modified
>>: >>today, greater than 300 kb.  I got a file called 47D7A76Cd01 that
>>: >>was in my Camino cache folder.  I renamed it .mov and launched it in
>>: >>QT player.  It worked!!
>>: >
>>: >I did the same thing to find the files in my Firefox cache, but when
>>: >I tried to open them in QT, I got an error message that the files
>>: >were not in a format that QT understands.  That's strange because I
>>: >saw them play in QT when it streamed.  Does anybody have any idea how
>>: >to get at those files?
>>:
>>: I see this with many movie files, especially music videos from band
>>: websites.  I think they have encoded the movie with something special
>>: to make it only work from their website.  One thing I and others have
>>: suggested is to view the page source and search for ".mov".  If there
>>: is a direct link to the movie, that's the easiest way to grab it when
>>: it fails out of the cache.  But not all movie downloads work this way
>>: either.
>>
>>AFAIK, there is no special encoding that makes a QuickTime movie
>>playable only from the web site.  If you can see in your browser,
>>you can save it to your hard drive.  The exception is streamed
>>content, which requires other techniques to rip it to a file.
>
> I have saved movies from websites where I had to go into the cache to
> retrieve them. After I had them all, I tried to splice them together and
> save the result to a new movie and the movies would still not allow saving
> - even from within QuickTime Pro.
>
> Additionally, I tried converting them to mpeg1 and that did not work
> either.
>
> So, there must be something that allows content creators to disable
> saving, although I could not find any documentation after about 5 minutes
> of searching at Apple's site.

I got "QuickTime 6.2, which adds AAC and DRM support, in May" from
http://pcbuyersguide.com/videobuyersguide/software/QuickTime6.html by
searching "Quicktime drm mov" in Google. It took under a minute.

I would say this indicates there is some sort of digital-rights-misuse in
current versions of Quicktime.

May I suggest having a look at ffmpeg?

--
Ean Kingston