[X4U] Re: FTP Application Survey

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Wed Apr 27 13:07:40 PDT 2005

Gretchen Hayman wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2005, at 04:38, Allan Hise wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:
>>
>>> honestly I use scp at the commandline, but I'm a bit of a freak.  I have
>>> this function defined
>>

>> Agreed. Thats the way to go. No passwords in the open, etc. And it comes
>> with the OS.
>

> Sorry to be a weenie here, but scp is most definitely _not_ an ftp
> application.  scp and ftp use different protocols (and ports); scp uses
> ssh and ftp uses ftp.  Just wanted to make sure that was clear to those
> who might not know.

You are right.  'scp' (secure copy) is a replacement for 'rcp' (remote
copy), which is network aware version of the 'cp' (copy) command.  'scp'
uses 'ssh' (secure shell) to copy files across file systems.  FTP, in
turn is a protocol designed for file transfers, and contains some
features that facilitate this, such as directory scanning, transparent
newline conversion (ASCII mode), and resume of failed transfers.  You
/could/ use 'sftp', which is the FTP protocol tunneled through an SSH
connection, which provides the security of 'ssh' with the versatility of
FTP.  But I don't think 'sftp' comes in MacOS X's suite of Terminal.app
utilities.

	dZ.