[X4U] Firmware 4.2.8 install went sour- no ethernet or USB after install

Andrew J. Yon III ayon2 at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 27 13:46:11 PDT 2005

> On Apr 23, 2005, at 8:28 AM, Andrew J. Yon III wrote:
>
>   I decided to upgrade a G4 Gigabit ethernet dual 500 mhz, 10.3.8, 1
> GB RAM, firmware 4.1.9 with a Gigadesigns  original dual 1.33 GHZ
> processor. The documentation that came with the kit said updating to
> firmware 4.2.8 was necessary. I  downloaded the update from Apple's
> site using my LAN network on Cable roadrunner. After first running
> disk permissions repair, I booted to 9.1 and did the firmware update
> to 4.2.8. It completed with a message saying the install was
> successful . I rebooted to 10.3.8 only to find that the USB ports and
> the ethernet ports now no longer work at all. I put in the dual 1.3's
> and they perform as advertised. huge speed increase, however : still
> no USB or ethernet. I put everything back to stock : 128 MB RAM, dual
> 500, empty PCI slots , and etc.  Still no USB or ethernet. I zapped
> the PRAM at least 10 times. no avail. I did CUDA reset, no avail. I
> pulled the battery, AC cord and pushed the power button, then
> reinstalled battery and rebooted. No avail. Pulled the battery and
> left it set overnite. No avail. I have googled and Apple knowledge
> based till my eyes are bloodshot and my fingers are sore. no avail.
> All I can find under the problems with firmware updating is with Video
> and Audio. Nowhere do I find where USB and ethernet stops working
> after the update.  When I try to redo the firmware update, I tells me
> that I already have 4.2.8 and the installers quits. I have done
> hundreds of firmware updates but have never heard or experienced this
> resulting problem.

As an addendum to this problem, I have found that the power supply fan
does not work either. I removed it from the P/S and checked it with
another power source and it works fine putting another new fan in the
P/S makes no difference. It does not work either. I have temporarily
connected it with a jumper to a drive connector so that the P/S will
not over heat. Also the CD

I  put a Gigabit Ethernet Apple PCI card in it and it works fine. I am
able to network and use Roadrunner cable internet. It runs Safari very
fast. Still no onboard Ethernet or USB. So, it seems that the PCI slots
are all functional as is most of the processing functions.

Oddly enough, the CD Drive has stopped reading CD's and the hard drive
( Maxtor Diamond max 9 series 120 GB 2002) that had the 9.1 on it ,
that I used to install the firmware, suddenly started clicking and now
is non-operational. Possibly this is a clue to how the update went sour
if it was unknowingly beginning to fail prior to the update. However,
all hardware seemed in perfect running order prior to the update and
had shown no visible errors.

My dilemma is still ..............  How do I get the firmware
straightened out when it says    "Firmware is already at 4.2.8 " ?

Andy3