[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

John Lyon jelyon at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 05:38:08 PDT 2005

I believe CDDB uses the number of tracks and total time to make a match.
I've burnt CDs from MP3s, and CDDB has recognized the CD.

If your scenario was true, you wouldn't see the track info from CDs you've
burnt from iTunes album purchases.

And there's this:

<http://www.gracenote.com/cddb2info/using.html>

> # Why do I sometimes get a list of matches (sometimes one) to choose from?
>
> This means that the service did not find an exact match to your disc, but has
> found one or more 'close' matches.   Choose the one that looks best, or if
> none of the candidates is even close, choose New and submit the new disc.
>
> Here's why this happens:   When record companies reprint a CD that is already
> on the market, they often make a new CD master instead of using the original.
> As a result, different pressings of the same CD may have slightly different
> TOCs. (The TOC is the "table of contents", the list of track lengths stored on
> the disc itself.) If you insert your copy of a disc and it's not found in the
> database, the server uses a "fuzzy match" algorithm to find one or more
> 'close' matches to your copy. The resulting list of matches from the search
> will include all candidates for you to choose from.
>
> # I put in an AC/DC disc, but the service says it's ABBA!  Why?
>
> This should be extremely rare. This would mean that the disc in your CD-ROM
> drive just happens to have the exact same TOC as another disc in the database.
> The TOC is the "table of contents", the list of song lengths stored in the
> disc itself. Because of how the TOC is calculated it is extremely unlikely
> that two unrelated CDs would have exactly the same TOC. It does happen
> sometimes for discs with only one track, but the odds of this occurring go
> down with more tracks. If this does occur, just enter the information for your
> disc and submit it as a new disc.

On 4/28/05 5:09 AM, "Eugene" <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> either wrote,
forwarded or quoted:

--