[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

John Lyon jelyon at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 06:36:16 PDT 2005

Except this is from the Gracenote site:

> (The TOC is the "table of contents", the list of track lengths stored on the
> disc itself.)

Burning the new disk will generate a new TOC, no matter how it's done.

<http://www.gracenote.com/cddb2info/using.html>

> # Why do I sometimes get a list of matches (sometimes one) to choose from?
>
> This means that the service did not find an exact match to your disc, but has
> found one or more 'close' matches.   Choose the one that looks best, or if
> none of the candidates is even close, choose New and submit the new disc.
>
> Here's why this happens:   When record companies reprint a CD that is already
> on the market, they often make a new CD master instead of using the original.
> As a result, different pressings of the same CD may have slightly different
> TOCs. (The TOC is the "table of contents", the list of track lengths stored on
> the disc itself.) If you insert your copy of a disc and it's not found in the
> database, the server uses a "fuzzy match" algorithm to find one or more
> 'close' matches to your copy. The resulting list of matches from the search
> will include all candidates for you to choose from.

Dragging the tracks off the CD into a folder and burning them from there
creates a new TOC - much like what happens when a record company creates a
new master.

On 4/28/05 7:53 AM, "Kirk McElhearn" <kirklists at wanadoo.fr> either wrote,
forwarded or quoted:

--