[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 09:30:50 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 12:16 AM, Alex wrote:

>> or is there any kind of process that happens going from an Audio CD
>> to AIFF where it would experience any degradation  ?
>
> Theoretically, no. In practice, it depends. Copying audio from an
> audio CD is not a "simple" matter of just copying bits from one medium
> to another. There may appear defects, ranging from small ones, which
> most people don't notice, to very audible clicks caused by
> imperfections on the disc surface.

I've never quite been convinced of this. Where I have the problem is
that data CD's work day-in and day-out making perfect copies of the
bits, but for an audio CD this somehow stops working?

I understand that when played in a "normal" CD player, things go along
in real time and the player just does the best it can reading the disk.
If there are errors, it does some basic correction, but mostly just
guesses or skips the bit. CD-ROM drives in computers aren't very good
at that -which I thought was what some of the CD anti-copy schemes rely
on.

If you want an "exact" copy, can't you  just put the CD in, grab the
aiff files that show up in the Finder and drag them over. AFAIK, as
with any Finder copy, if even one bit can't be read, you'll get an
error.

I'm still struggling with why that wouldn't work in practice.

-Mike