[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Thu Apr 28 12:17:00 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 14:29, Ean Kingston wrote:

> The raw audio on a CD is 16bit 4.1khz headerless PCM file.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_CD.

You mean 44.1. And you don't mean "file". And I, for one, don't quite
agree with the Wikipedia when it says there are "tracks". Strictly
speaking, there's only one track on an audio CD.

> As far as there being a problem getting the exact data off an audio
> CD, that
> is not a problem on any system that lets you at the raw device

Oh, but there is. Because of (a) the audio CD format specs, and (b) the
raw device being the firmware in the CD drive. And thereby hangs a
tale...

> (AFAIK only the free OSes do this)

No, but it could be more difficult on a proprietary OS, for obvious
reasons. However, the pre-eminent proprietary OS has such a tool --
André Wiethoff's superb ExactAudioCopy. On the "Classic" Mac OS there
was Astarte CD-Copy (rip <sigh>).

> I rip my audio CDs by putting them in a PC running
> FreeBSD and extracting the raw audio

You can do the same thing on Mac OS X, naturally. Look into cdrdao and
cdparanoia.

<0x0192>