[X4U] Tiger Shipped

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 28 12:29:35 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 5:04 pm, Jim MacCormaic wrote:

> On 28 Apr 2005, at 04:01 pm, Michael Gmail wrote:
>
>> Any issues converting to the new mailbox format? Dono bout you, but
>> I've got a humongous e-mail archive...
>
> None that I found on the iBook I installed it on, which has a much
> smaller Mail archive (only about 5000 messages) than my iMac
> workhorse. On first launch Mail indicated that it needed to import
> existing mailboxes and warned that this could take some time.

After installing on my Powerbook, setting up my IMAP accounts & telling
it to cache all messages, it took Spotlight some hours to catch up and
for them all to be searchable - at one point the number of 72,000
emails was mentioned, tho'!

I found Spotlight _very_ cool - you can check whether its database has
a queue or not by running a search for "foo" and then by making a new
file on the desktop called "foo" - when Spotlight is on form it shows
up immediately. I also really like that it has a command-line interface
- you can `tail` & `grep` Spotlight search results.  :D

On my laptop, the number of emails I keep hanging around gives
Spotlight a bit of grief - for one thing, almost any search will throw
up a HUGE number of email results, often with no particular sorting; if
I search for "Dave" it will throw up hundreds of messages in my mailing
lists folders, and so something like "Dave Smith weekend cottage" is
required to make the results more manageable.

Another thing is that Spotlight searches take about 4 or 5 seconds on
that machine - it'll be really interesting to get Tiger installed on my
Powermac & see how that compares. Presumably if the whole Spotlight
database can fit in RAM then processor speed will become the bounding
factor (on subsequent searches) - it'd be interesting to compile some
test results & see how combinations of processor, memory & hard-drive
speed affect speed.

Stroller.