[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 13:09:26 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 2:17 PM, Alex wrote:

>> As far as there being a problem getting the exact data off an audio
>> CD, that
>> is not a problem on any system that lets you at the raw device
>
> Oh, but there is. Because of (a) the audio CD format specs, and (b)
> the raw device being the firmware in the CD drive. And thereby hangs a
> tale...

And that's the part of the tale I'm trying to understand. Thanks for
the links in your previous post. I've seen the first one before, and I
simply don't see or agree with the limitations they are attributing to
CD-ROM drives which are generally much higher quality and have much
better error correction both in hard- and software.

When I get a chance, I'll take a look at the other reference you gave.

-Mike