[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Thu Apr 28 13:33:27 PDT 2005

Michael Winter wrote:
> I call that an exact copy, because the music is exactly the same. It
> sounds like others would say its not, because the spaces iTunes inserts
> between the songs is not identical to what was on the CD

Well, you might have an exact copy of each track, but not of the
original disc, which means that the TOC will be recreated based on the
information extracted, and the magic number might be different.

> So the big question in my mind is, can the computer make an exact copy
> of a given segment of that single string of bits. IMO it can. Others
> disagree. I could easily be wrong, I'm just looking for a convincing
> argument.

 From what I understand of the thread so far, many coincide that you
*can* extract single tracks from the disc and keep perfect fidelity, but
that wasn't the argument.  The argument was, AFAIK, if you could
duplicate the disc, making a clone, not a reasonable facsimile.  And the
answers on the thread so far point to "Yes", but you need to use a DAO
utility that reads the raw data on the device.

	dZ.