[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Fri Apr 29 02:43:47 PDT 2005

On Apr 29, 2005, at 00:26, Neil wrote:
>>    I just wanted to give this
>>> particular CD a few good listens without it being an mp3.
>>
>> Ah then, if that's the case, then by all means, use AIFF.
>
> ...or, you could just use the Apple lossless format like I said at the
> start
> of the thread.

That's what I use, but being new to Macs, I gotta ask... can anybody
think of a downside to using Apple Lossless?  From what I understand,
it is just a compressed form of AIFF, and being lossless, it is able to
be decompressed to its original bit-stream.  I further understand that
it has no (current) DRM scheme, and that it has a published
specification, which guarantees that there will always be a way to
decode the files (at least the current version), even if Apple decides
to tighten their grip on the format.

Most important to me is that the format be uncompressed -- or if
compressed, lossless -- to achieve highest fidelity, and contain
absolutely *no* DRM.  I would have gone with AIFF (which is what I used
in Windoze), but thought that Apple Lossless provided the same -- but
with a lossless compression.  I was a bit concern about it being a
proprietary format, though.

Any thoughts?

	dZ.