[X4U] Help With Tiger Mail plus Spotlight Missing Contacts!!

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 29 03:27:50 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 9:48 pm, Terence Devlin wrote:

> Received 10.4 this morning, installed this afternoon, took Spotlight
> maybe an hour to index everything. Quite brief really - maybe because
> it didn't bother indexing the address book. It's odd that LaunchBar
> can find contacts but Spotlight can't. - And yes, I have checked the
> preferences and Contacts is checked there. So, anyone any ideas? I
> can't seem to find anywhere to force a rescan.

Are you SURE that Spotlight has finished indexing everything? Search
Spotlight for "foo", make a text file called (or containing the word)
"foo" on your desktop - does it show up?

If Spotlight is busy it might take a while to index things - as I
understand it everytime the file-system changes something it puts it in
Spotlight's queue for indexing, and so that the filesystem can get on
with other stuff. During normal operation Spotlight's queue is small,
so stuff is processed immediately, but after the initial install the
entire filesystem must be indexed.

If the file "foo" does show up in Spotlight but you contacts don't,
then something would seem to be broken. There is a command-line utility
for managing the database, but I can't remember what it's called - try
`apropos spotlight` or typing "md" and then pressing the TAB key twice.
I'm guessing that the database will be rebuilt if you disable indexing
for the drive & then re-enable it.

Stroller.