[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Sat Apr 30 08:18:36 PDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 11:06, DZ-Jay wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2005, at 09:59, Kirk McElhearn wrote:
>>
>> Yes it is. Take an AIFF/WAV file, then compress it in a lossless
>> format, then decompress it. Use the command line tool diff; other
>> than possible header info (which would include the encoding/decoding
>> software perhaps), you'll find no difference.
>>

> Kirk, I am not arguing the fact you mentioned above.  I am merely
> stating that you are *assuming* that the AIFF/WAV file -- stored on
> your hard-disk after ripping -- is a bit-by-bit copy extracted from
> the raw data of the Audio CD.  I posit that this is not the case.  I
> could be wrong of course. :)

Forgot a caveat of my argument:  I posit that it is not the case when
using some popular commercial applications.  Bit-by-bit raw copies are,
of course, possible using methods such as RAW DAO, which require direct
access to the firmware of the CD reader.  My contention is that this
method is not generally available for consumers on popular softwares.

	dZ.