[X4U] Re: wireless problems

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Thu Aug 11 12:44:17 PDT 2005

>From: Cindy Moore <bgcyclist at netscape.net>
>Subject: [X4U] wireless problems
>
>I'm having trouble connecting my laptop and G4 to the G5 and internet
>wirelessly. It sees the network but tells me there's an error when they
>try to connect. However, they will connect to my neighbor's wireless
>network.
>
>I'm using a Netgear router and have to their web site but can't make
>heads nor tales of this.
>
>Thank you, Cindy

Not much info to go on, but I'll take a shot in the dark...  there is
a possibility that you are experiencing a channel conflict... meaning
that your neighbor's WAP and yours are both using the same frequency
(channel) to broadcast on. This can easily happen if you both are
using the default channel the WAPs came configured to use. Some
client systems may be able to separate the two broadcasters, but some
will not, hence your G4 and G5 systems connecting up fine, but the
laptop cannot.

Bring up the administration tool for your WAP (usually a browser
these days) and look for the channel ID setting (usually among the
"wireless" settings). Choose some other channel (doesn't matter which
you choose) and see if each of your Macs are able to connect.

Hope that solves the problem.

Mike