[X4U] Which format for Music?

Jim Warthman jim.warthman at affinity-systems-inc.com
Sat Aug 13 14:12:39 PDT 2005

Tom,
I loaded my entire CD collection (several hundred) into iTunes, and it's
great! I had similar goals to yours, and did much research before deciding
upon Apple Lossless Encoder (ALE). Yes, it takes up more space. And yes,
hard drives are getting cheaper all the time! With ALE, I am assured that,
when I stream music to my home theater system via Airport Express, I hear
essentially the same quality music as if I were playing the original CD
directly through my home theater system. If you ever decide to stream music
with Airport Express in this way, it's interesting to note that iTunes will
convert your music to ALE from whatever format it's in before sending to the
Airport Express.

Enjoy!

-- Jim