[X4U] Folders At Root Level Of Boot-up Drive

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Aug 13 19:49:19 PDT 2005

revDAVE said:

>Just checking - Is there any reason not to create Folders at the root level
>of the boot-up drive on OSX panther or Tiger ( ... at the same level as the
>System or Library)?

In general, you can create files and folders anywhere you want to in the
Mac OS, but it is a good idea not to put things in folders full of stuff
used exclusively by the OS.  (e.g. don't put stuff in the System Folder,
or in the Library, etc.  It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but it isn't
a good place to put stuff that doesn't belong there either.)

The are a couple of minor exceptions.

Any application that comes from Apple itself (e.g. Safari, Mail, iTunes,
etc.) can be put anywhere, but they are best kept in the Applications
folder, exactly where their installer put them.  If you move an Apple
application out of the Applications folder, then the Apple Software
Update program won't be able to find it to update it.

If you put an application somewhere other than in the Applications
folder, you won't be able to access Services (in the application menu)
from that application.  (On the other hand, if your application is a
Carbon, rather than a Cocoa application, it is unlikely that it will be
able to utilize Services in any case.)

Is in illegal to create folders at the root level in Windows?

>Also - varied applications create file such as these at the root level - are
>they safe to delete?
>
>FontDoctor Report
> Office 2004 11.1.0 Update Log
> BundleDebug.txt
> Installer Log File
> FileMaker Updater Log File
> MAU 1.1.2 Update Log
> InterLok Support READ ME.pdf
> InterLok Support Install Log

You can throw out any files generated by installers that you care to,
assuming that they aren't a file that the application requires to be able
to run.  Fortunately, files that an application requires to run are
rarely, if ever, installed at the root level.

Install logs or update logs tell you what has been installed by an
installer.  A "read me", "txt", or PDF file with the name of a recently
installed application in its name is usually documentation that comes
with a newly installed program.  You don't need these if you don't want
to keep them.

Randy B. Singer

"Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?"
     - Bumper Sticker