[X4U] Searching for file name in Tiger

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Aug 15 20:20:06 PDT 2005

Could you just open a new window of your hard drive and enter your search
criteria in the search field @ top right?

If your new window comes up with your entire computer (rather than a
specific folder you have chosen) then your search could include multiple
volumes, including network mounts.

I've not moved to 10.4 yet but when I used 10.4 at an Apple training
course recently I used spotlight to look for a file and it failed
miserably. I then managed to locate the file manually and brought the
window up where I could see the file in the Finder. I then did the search
again in front of the Apple instructor and again it couldn't find the
file, even though we could see it.

I personally will be avoiding spotlight and will use the above suggestion
for locating files/folders.

Cheers,

Coj

Jim Hurley <jhurley at infostations.com>

God, I hate Spotlight.

If there any way in Tiger that I can just search for words in the file
name?

Also I was searching for the location of the file which Eudora stores
incoming messages. The file name is "in."

It used to be possible to search for exact field name or file name
beginning with a char string. No more. Spotlight chokes when
searching for "in."

Jim