[X4U] Re: Searching for file name in Tiger

George Harvey gwil3 at charter.net
Tue Aug 16 14:25:54 PDT 2005

Many of the helpful comments on this thread offer practical help when
trying to use Spotlight. However, Spotlight has not been finished as
a working search device. It has several design flaws, some of which
could be eliminated with simple measures such as by requiring a
return before search begins.

I have many thousands of files to work with every day, and do many
searches in order to correlate information. If there is a delay of
many seconds in the find, this adds up to a lot of total waiting time
each day. Spotlight uses a good indexing system that is fairly
trouble free, but needs improving. It has the best potential of any
available system for the individual user, but needs some upgrading. I
don't know whether Apple is working on this or not, but it is one of
the most important advantages to the OS, and should be fixed as
quickly as possible.

Spotlight is lightning fast on my G5 when I write the search term,
copy it and paste it in the Find window after selecting specific hard
drives, kinds, dates, etc. if the drive is a small one. But for
searching multiple drives Spotlight is a great time waster. It often
starts a search when the kind is selected instead of waiting for the
search string to be entered. It also starts searching as soon as one
character is typed, and finds so many of the wrong file that it takes
a while to start over as the the next character is typed. Eventually,
it usually finds the string, but many times, it cannot find files
that I know are present, and have just been working on. EasyFind is
excellent, but cannot begin to match Spotlight's speed because it
does not use indexing. I use it on specific folders. Nearly every
day, I boot a hard drive with OS X 10.3.9 so I can find files
Spotlight cannot find. This is the most reliable way I have found to
avoid wasting time with Spotlight, and to really find files not
brought up by Spotlight.

George Harvey