[X4U] mds [was Re: X4U Digest, Vol 12, Issue 32]

Ted Burton egburton at cableone.net
Wed Aug 17 18:14:42 PDT 2005

At 2:17 PM -0700 on 8/17/05, John Baltutis spoke about [X4U] Re: X4U
Digest, Vol 12, Issue 32 thusly:

>  > A root application called simply mds is eating up CPU percentages all
>>  day. Anyone know what it does?
>
>AFAIK, mds is the metadata schema daemon which generates the data
>for Spotlight. See

OK -- it was trying to index an external FW drive which I use as a
boot disk when I need German as the dominant language -- I guess the
German aspect blew its mind and that's why it was still suing CPU
cycles about 24 continuous hours later ...  I told Spotlight to
ignore that disk and the problem went away.
--

I am a Christian Democrat.
Jesus Christ was a Jew, and a Liberal.