[X4U] Tiger and Cisco VPN

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Fri Aug 19 06:06:06 PDT 2005

>On Aug 18, 2005, at 5:06 PM, Michael J. Prevost wrote:
>
>  > A couple months back there was some discussion about the
>  > possibility that Tiger's VPN support might be able to connect to
>  > Cisco's VPN products.
>  >
>  > Has anyone gotten Tiger's VPN to connect to Cisco VPN products (PIX
>  > in my
>  > case)? My attempt failed and I don't see any options or parameters to
>  > change.
>
>I'm using Tiger and Cisco's VPN client to connect to a PIX 3000
>Concentrator. I can connect to the network fine from a 15" 1.67G
>PowerBook and a Dual2.0 G5. However, it is all Windows services, no
>AppleTalk, or AFP/IP.
>
>I am using V 4.6.04 (0061).
>
>Have you ever been able to connect to your VPN (pre-Tiger)?
>
>What errors are you seeing now?
>--
>Nick Scalise
>nickscalise at mac.com

Pre-Tiger I also used Cisco VPN Client v 4.0.2 (kinda old). Tiger
broke that version.

So I tried connecting using the VPN feature built into the Internet
Connect app. The use IPSec (as does Cisco but over UPD), but with
L2TP, which apparently is not compatible with Cisco products.

I broke down and ordered the latest  Cisco VPN client software since
it appears that is our only option. The good news is that Cisco
greatly lowered the price of the client software over the past 3
years. I could be wrong but I believe back in '02 they would not sell
you the client software directly, customers had to buy a
maintenance/support contract which provided client software updates
when available. I wasn't willing to pay $k's to "support" our simple
two PIX configuration.

However the client software from CDW was only $39.99 - no big deal -
and the CD includes Mac, Windows, and Linux versions (all required by
my company).

Mike