[X4U] Re: NeoOffice: is it X or Windows? I see yellow Folders!

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 24 03:31:48 PDT 2005

On Aug 22, 2005, at 5:08 am, Michael Elliott wrote:

>> Apple should do so well to let people access the menus without
>> needing to use the mouse!  A major failing of OS X in terms of
>> accessibility and ease of use.
>
> Um...how about
>
> control-F1 to enable full keyboard access, then control-F2 to shift
> focus to the menubar.  Then simply type the first few letters of the
> menu's name, it return, and keep typing letters to select individual
> menu selections, until you hit the one you want, then enter/return
> again.

This is greatly improved in Tiger, so I hadn't been aware of it (I only
have Tiger on my laptop as yet). Under Panther you had to do CTRL-F2,
right-arrow, right-arrow, right-arrow, right-arrow, right-arrow,
down-arrow, down-arrow, down-arrow, down-arrow to get the item you
wanted.

I don't generally see much point in bitching about foibles of the GUI,
but if this was the other way around plenty of posters here would be
saying "Look! It took Windows 10 YEARS to catch up with functionality
that Macs have had since 1995".

Stroller.