[X4U] Substitue to Word: TextEdit, NeoOffice and AbiWord, about fonts

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 14:05:58 PDT 2005

The old Mac used to apply false bold, italics, etc. to fonts. Nowadays, in
Mac OS X, some programs still do this. But others will not let you apply
these false styles and will instead require that you change the font to an
official bold or italic variant of the font (these are sometimes called Demi
and Oblique)

For instance, there is not an italic version of Lucida Grande, so TextEdit
will not let you apply italics to any text using the Lucida Grande font.