[X4U] unix mail?

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 22:33:10 PDT 2005

>From: Richard Nagle <cms01 at tampabay.rr.com>
>Yes, they change it, heard it in 10.3, but in earlier version of mac OS,
>it work as a pop3 account.
>
>DZ-Jay wrote:
>>  It is still there, but it reads by default your mail spool file
>>  (/var/spool/mail/username, I think), which is only used when have your
>>  own SMTP Server running locally (sendmail).
>>
>>  On Aug 22, 2005, at 20:58, Richard Nagle wrote:
>>
>>>  I was remember the other day, there use to be a unix mail app, that one,
>>>  could access, via the terminal, just by typing :mail
>>>
>>>  What ever happen to this app?
>>>  it would of been nice to try this out in 10.3.9
>>>
>>>  Richard

I know nothing of this ":mail" of which you speak, but "mail" has
been one of the normal Unix mail programs since 10.0.
"mailx" I think has also been there. At Tiger it is the same as
"mail", but that may not always have been so.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk