[X4U] Re: OS X on Rev. D iMac - moving user folders

Randy Clark hawkgx at planetkc.com
Fri Aug 26 21:25:06 PDT 2005

Craig,
Tried to follow along with your Terminal instructions to get my kids' home
folders to reside on my 2nd partition. Here's what I tried so far:

1. Booted up & logged in under my user (admin privileges)
2. sudo csh
3. entered my user password
4. cd /Volumes/Junior
5. came up with: /Volumes/Junior
6. Tried command: cp -pr /Users/caitlyn
7. came up with following lines:
usage: cp [-R [-H | -L -P]] [-f | -I | -n] [-pv] src target
       cp [-R [-H | -L -P]] [-f | -I | -n] [-pv] src1 ... srcN directory

Being a complete neophyte about using Terminal, I'm rendered helpless at
that point. Checked the "Junior" (2nd) partition, but no files copied over.
Actually, that partition has no files on it at all. It's a virgin partition
at the moment. Would that cause a problem with what I'm trying to do with
having the kids' home directories resident on that partition?

Sorry to muck up your instructions, but I'm lost again.
Randy