[X4U] Re: OS X on Rev. D iMac - moving user folders

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Sat Aug 27 09:46:58 PDT 2005

   6. Tried command: cp -pr /Users/caitlyn
   7. came up with following lines:
   usage: cp [-R [-H | -L -P]] [-f | -I | -n] [-pv] src target
	  cp [-R [-H | -L -P]] [-f | -I | -n] [-pv] src1 ... srcN directory

Sorry: different versions of the cp command.  Do:

	cp -R -p ...

The -R says to copy files recursively through all sub directories
(includes hidden ones) and the -p says to preserve permissions and
ownerships.

   Being a complete neophyte about using Terminal, I'm rendered helpless at
   that point. Checked the "Junior" (2nd) partition, but no files copied over.
   Actually, that partition has no files on it at all. It's a virgin partition
   at the moment. Would that cause a problem with what I'm trying to do with
   having the kids' home directories resident on that partition?

   Sorry to muck up your instructions, but I'm lost again.
   Randy

My mistake.  I was just doing something similar on Red Hat Linux and
it has a slightly different flavor of the cp command.

Craig