[X4U] Panther Server Logs

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Aug 29 13:24:02 PDT 2005

On Aug 29, 2005, at 8:41 pm, Wayne Wilkin wrote:

> You might call it a witch-hunt. It doesn't matter why or what
> reason... However what I get into here is policy. It has been asked of
> me to make sure that users aren't doing this. I like most admins are
> just being asked to see if this is being adhered to

I always perceived the admin's job as being actively & constructively
involved in policy-making, because of his or her technical ability to
understand the issues relevant to that policy.

I'm so glad I'm no longer employed by dumbasses. Now I'm self-employed
I mostly just refuse to do stupid stuff like this, explaining to the
customer a better way of doing things.

When you thrust working practices which you're unable to justify upon
employees they just end up resenting you for it - in my experience
stupid, unnecessary & inflexible rules seem just petty to those they're
imposed upon, and are a significant cause of dissatisfaction in the
workplace. You might consider this to be "not your problem" and that of
your company, but unless you as a sys-admin can either give a reason
for this policy or turn around and tell your policy-maker this is a
stupid rule, then you're simply perpetuating the aggravation upon your
colleagues.

>  so I guess then that there is no log to monitor this?

Possibly - it should be able to tell you times of file reads & writes,
but how do you tell the difference between a file being read off the
server directly into an application and it being copied onto a local
drive? How do you determine the difference between the application
writing a changed file to the server and Finder on the client machine
copying back the completed item?

In the former case the application should be kept open by the server,
but I don't know if this will be recorded in the log - try having a
poke in /var/log (`open /var/log` in the terminal window). Before you
waste time doing so please find out the justification for this rule or
just consider how popular you're gonna be when your boss tells your
colleague "you're getting a verbal warning because Wayne says you've
been breaking this dumb rule that we have for no reason".

Stroller.