[X4U] permissions troubles +

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 23:41:57 PDT 2005

On 08/31/05, Cornett <cornett at gol.com> wrote, among other things:

> but of late I'm having lil' problems(ie: Stuffit Expander v9.01
> refuses to update using the new 9,02 updater even though the
> installer says that installation was successful.

You missed this in the Stuffit 9.0.2 updater:

"The StuffIt 9.0.2 Updater only updates certain internal components which
are common to both StuffIt Standard 9.0.1 and StuffIt Deluxe 9.0.1. All the
StuffIt applications and other user-accessible components of your StuffIt
software, including your StuffIt Expander version 9.0.1, will remain at
version 9.0.1.

You will know the StuffIt 9.0.2 Updater was successful when you see the
message: "Installation was successful" which will appear when the Updater
installation has completed.

The only files effected by this updater are the sitx.bundle and sit.bundle
files which are internal to the StuffIt Framework which was installed on
your startup volume when you installed your StuffIt 9.0.1 product."

All visible Stuffit items will still show up as version 9.0.1. Thus, since
you got the successfully installed message, it was installed.

> I've run Delocalizer and free'd up 'bout 900Mb of much need'd
> HD space, and now some Apps. won't install 'cause they can't
> find some certain(ie: chinese) language file, and in FontBook
> it seems that there are still many foreign fonts installed, but
> whenever I try to disable it FontBook or the Finder will crash
> instantly on me.

Deleting all but the English.lproj and en.lproj files with DeLocalizer has
never caused any problems in Panther and Tiger.

DeLocalizer doen't touch any font files, so something else has caused your
font problems. The Mac OS needs some foreign language fonts, just leave
them alone.

Since your system is hosed, I think your best bet is to reinstall Panther,
using the Archive & Install option, selecting save network settings. See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120> for details