[X4U] Re: permissions troubles +

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Wed Aug 31 16:59:08 PDT 2005

John, Listas All
G'day! to All, and John it's great to hear from you agin'...

x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:41:57 -0700
> From: John Baltutis
> Subject: Re: [X4U] permissions troubles +
> To: x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com

snip
> You missed this in the Stuffit 9.0.2 updater:
Duhh yea, guess that was on the RM that flew by while I was
installing it, guess I'll have to change my ol' ways...

> "The StuffIt 9.0.2 Updater only updates certain internal components which
> are common to both StuffIt Standard 9.0.1 and StuffIt Deluxe 9.0.1. All the
> StuffIt applications and other user-accessible components of your StuffIt
> software, including your StuffIt Expander version 9.0.1, will remain at
> version 9.0.1.
snip
I'm still getting this weird "broken pipe" when trying to open the
mounted decompressed file of Netscape v7.2 that I've been DLing
numerous times at the 17.3Mb(unstuff'd at'round 53Mb) on DT,
but I've never got a single workable. Any ideas??
fyi- I even DL'd their new 9.02 full STD installer, and still all I
get upon several "successful install" trys is v9.01, so go figure.

> > I've run Delocalizer and free'd up 'bout 900Mb of much need'd
> > HD space, and now some Apps. won't install 'cause they can't
> > find some certain(ie: chinese) language file, and in FontBook
> > it seems that there are still many foreign fonts installed, but
> > whenever I try to disable it FontBook or the Finder will crash
> > instantly on me.
>
> Deleting all but the English.lproj and en.lproj files with DeLocalizer has
> never caused any problems in Panther and Tiger.
>
> DeLocalizer doen't touch any font files, so something else has caused your
> font problems. The Mac OS needs some foreign language fonts, just leave
> them alone.
>
> Since your system is hosed, I think your best bet is to reinstall Panther,
> using the Archive & Install option, selecting save network settings. See
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120> for details
Thanx for the imput here John, but I'm still thinkin' that it could
be the possible messed up Permissions problem(believed to have
happened during either a CCC cloning or a re-cloning back move),
and am hoping for a uRL link to what permissions the actual System
is in need of kinda across the board like, anybody gotz one to share??,
before, I hafta give up and dig up my ol'(untouched) originally
cloned X.3.4 HD and start all over from virtual scratch.

Is that Archive&Install akin to a clean System install in OS9 with
an "old system" left to scavenge and trash later type deal?, and
if'n so, what size Archive file is remaining after the re-install is
completed?, and is it later trashable to regain the space?

Do Please advise, any/all ideas, advice, suggestions are welcomed
and be very much appreciated. TIA for the time and considerations.

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom
"Rust never sleeps."-N. Young