[X4U] 3 network questions

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Thu Dec 1 11:06:30 PST 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 8:55 AM, Colt Freeman wrote:

> Question 1, I have an http server at my school that windows users
> can get to
> by typing, http://yourmomatlu I however had to ping it and use
> 10.13.16.24
>
> Because his file server is in asp I can't navigate to most of it nor
> download anything due to the ASP code is prefexed by yourmomatlu is
> there
> anyway around this?
>
> Question 2, on a windows box I can ping servers called, one, two,
> and others
> just by typing 'ping one' in the command window. (They are internal
> servers)
> How do I do this on Mac?
>
> Question 3, How do I access my own computer from another one on
> campus, for
> some reason when I go into sharing in system prefs click personal file
> sharing it tells me that I can access my computer at afp://
> jamielaptop/ My
> computer name is Ideal, no where is jamielaptop entered in my
> computer. So
> I'm assuming that I'm getting an IP from some other students
> computer, What
> am I doing wrong? Is there a way to easily get to my computer from
> windows
> AND mac boxes from around the campus?

The answers from Colt and Charles are correct, but there may be a
better answer. Are you on a network using private or public
addresses. Is there an internal DNS machine for the network?

Phil
--
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal
opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.