[X4U] Using Panther's Find/Finder in Tiger

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Fri Dec 2 00:47:28 PST 2005

> I'm curious what you can't find in Tiger that you can find in Panther.

Easily search by filename, which is 95% of what I do in the Finder.

In Panther Cmd-Alt-F put me in the search window and off I went. Now I have
to mouse-click around.

Then there are folders that Spotlight does not touch, so I cannot find
anything in there.

Then I have noticed (and others saw the same thing) that Spotlight would not
find items that are clearly there. Like having a file "This is my
letter.rtf" on the Desktop and searching for "filename contains 'letter'" in
your home directory and it won't show.

> I'd say what you request is not possible, as the Finder isn't merely a
program,
> but is an entire system of processes integral to the OS

I don't think that is correct. After all PathFinder is a single app that
replaces the Finder. The Finder is a plain application that however isn't
stored in the /Applications folder.

You can also quit the Finder after some tweaking, and live without it.

I am more concerned that Panther's Finder might apply destructive system
calls on Tiger. Some apps broke between Panther and Tiger and required an
update to function again. I was wondering if Panther's Finder is one of them
or if I could just copy it over from a Panther disk, put it in the
Application Folder and launch it from there.

Bjorn

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3166