[X4U] Can one convert OS 9 comments to OS X comments?

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Tue Dec 6 05:51:04 PST 2005

On 12/5/05 5:44 PM, "Aaron" <macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Classic comments are lost when you do almost anything to the files in OS X
> except rename them or move them within the same volume. Also, when you perform
> those latter operations with File Buddy in Classic, the Desktop DB file is not
> modified. (It is modified when you, for example, add or change a comment!)
> This indicates to me that the Desktop DB maintains Classic comments for a file
> according to some file identifier other than its name or pathname, and that OS
> X also doesn't change that identifier when it renames the file or moves it
> within the same volume.

I gave up on Finder comments almost 20 years ago, back when they had an
obvious purpose (opening a file in a two-floppy-drive Mac could take forever
as the two floppy drives sawed their way through their directories). It
quickly became obvious one should never put information in that little
window one had any dreams of saving. Now, Spotlight SHOULD make Finder
comments irrelevant. It doesn't yet, but it should.

Jim Robertson