[X4U] WebMail & Subdomains ?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 9 04:12:32 PST 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 8:05 pm, m i l e s wrote:

> My apologies for bringing this up if its already been covered...
> (I don't know where the archives are if there are any at all)
>
> Is it possible with OS X Tiger Server to do the following:
>
> http://webmail.example.com/ that points to the squirrelmail install
> for EACH and EVERY domain that I host ?
>
> NO, NO, NO: ->   http://www.example.com/webmail/
>
> What I would like to have happen is:
>
> YES,YES,YES: ->  http://webmail.example.com/

Yes, yes, yes.

> Would I have to set up separate websites for that in the GUI Admin ?

I haven't done this on OS X, only similar stuff on Linux, so I don't
know how to do it from the GUI.

There are probably LOTS of ways to achieve this, but you could just
symlink /vaw/www/webmail.example.com to /var/www/path/to/squirrelmail
(replacing /var/www with OS X's DocumentRoot as appropriate).

To meet best practices you should ensure that users are only able to
access their mail over SSL, to ensure that passwords aren't sent in the
clear. I use a RewriteCond / RewriteRule to enforce this, see
<http://tinyurl.com/ax6uv>.

Stroller.