[X4U] Hiding Problems in Tiger

Edward O'Neal eoneal at mac.com
Fri Dec 9 11:48:39 PST 2005

I have, for a long time, noticed the issue with hiding applications in
Tiger, but I do not think it is new with Tiger.  I believe it was the same
with other versions of OS X.  Further, I think this is not a bug but a
feature (and an understandable one at that).

I have found in the past that if I want to hide a number of applications
quickly that I will press command-H multiple times until everything is
hidden.

Sometimes I will press command-H when the Finder is the active/in front
application.   This will hide all open windows in the Finder, but the
Desktop will still be visible.

Another application then becomes the in-front/active application.  I am then
unable to hide that application with command-H.  Further, the hide command
in the drop-down menu is grayed out.

I would assume this is because it is not possible to have NO active/in-front
applications.  Some other application must always be "unhidden" to allow
other applications to be hidden.

Example:

Right now I have half a dozen applications open.  The desktop is active and
I press command-H, which hides all open Finder Windows (e.g. "Macintosh
HD").  I begin pressing command-H until I get to the point that the only
application showing is Office Notifications (from Microsoft Office).  I
cannot hide that without "unhiding" the Finder.

I click on the Desktop, thereby making the Finder active.  This unhides any
hidden Finder windows (e.g. "Macintosh HD").  I can then click on the Office
Notifications window to make it the active application and then either press
command-H or use the drop down menu to hide it.

I hope I understood your problem and that the terminology I used was not too
confusing.

Ed O'Neal