[X4U] Using su and sudo f rom the terminal

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sat Dec 10 07:38:59 PST 2005

On Dec 10, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Peter James wrote:

> I'm using a G5 iMac running OS X 2.4.3.
> I've always understood from previous experience with Unix and Linux
> that typing su or sudo from in the terminal will allow the user to
> operate for a short period as root.  When attempting to run su that
> requires the admin password, the error message is sorry.  When
> attempting to run sudo and typing in the user password the error
> message is to the effect that my user is not a member of the
> sudoers file and that this attempt will be reported.
> I have edited the sudoers file by allowing all users authority to
> use  sudo upon production of a verifiable password.
> My system is set up with one user with admin privileges and one
> user without.  Can anyone give me any advise on this situation?

The admin user automatically has sudo privilege. If you have edited
the sudoers file, perhaps you made a mistake... I'd suggest getting a
default sudoers file, trying with an admin user, then seeing if it
works.

I've never had a problem on any of my Macs, with any admin account.

Best,

Kirk
           Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
        Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France