[X4U] noisy fans

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Wed Dec 14 21:06:00 PST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 8:32 PM, PoolMouse wrote:

> Nick Scalise <nickscalise at cox.net> wrote:
>
>>  > From: Jan Melichar <janmel at mac.com>
>>>
>>>  I was 'forced' to upgrade to 10.4.3 and since then the fans on the
>>> G5  GHz dual have been coming on much more often. I seem to remember
>>> this  being discussed a while back and a solution suggested. Could
>>> someone  remind me what the 'solution' was.
>>
>> Unplug the machine for a couple minutes.
>>
>> Set processor to Automatic in Energy Saver Preferences
>
> actually you should set to "highest" to prevent the runaway fan issue.
>
> don
Just had the same problem with our iMac G5 after using Applejack. Fans
would not shut off.

Solution was to shutdown and then unplug the machine for 15 or 20
minutes; worked like a charm.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the PRAM (holod down Option key+
apple key+P+R at start up and wait for three or more bongs) or the
NVRAM (option+apple key+O+F at start-up; release the keys when you see
writing on the screen and
wait for the writing to stop loading, then type each of the following
(press Return at the end of each line):
reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all
Then hit Return to reboot the computer will boot.

Jeff
J-K Carruthers Limited
292 N. Camino del Vate
Green Valley, AZ 85614