[X4U] Email Server DNS issue?

Jesse Leo jleo at projectsupport.com
Fri Dec 16 08:08:19 PST 2005

Hi all,

Strange one here -- we have a email server on our LAN that is reachable from
outside the LAN via a name: mailer.mydomain.com.

>From within the LAN, it can only be reached via the local LAN ip
address, the name will not work.  Interestingly, a lookup of the name
with Network Utility.app (from within the LAN) does correctly resolve
to the outside ip address.

My initial thoughts were that it is a firewall issue, but I am not
sure what settings would stop this from working.

We need this to work with the name from within the LAN so that those
folks that use a powerbook as their workstation both at work and from
home do not need to change email account settings.

Any ideas you guys have would be great.

Thx,
Jesse