[X4U] Re: Email Server DNS issue?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 16 14:40:20 PST 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 9:29 pm, Nick Scalise wrote:

>> Yes, it is NAT.  So it sounds like an internal DNS is the way to go.
>> I wish there was a simpler way though - like the old pre-OS X hosts
>> file.  Is there anything like that that could be done on each client
>> powerbook that needs the functionality.
>
> /etc/hosts will do that for you.

Yeah, except the Powerbook users will take that with them when they try
to access the server from home. Can the hosts file associate multiple
IPs for the same host?

Jesse: when people access this server from outside the LAN, where is
the DNS server that returns the IP located? You can configure BIND to
give two different "views" of the domain - one for hosts accessing it
from the internet and one for hosts on the LAN. I'm not sure if this is
possible if the DNS server isn't within your subnet, tho'

Stroller.