[X4U] Powerbook question

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Sat Dec 17 13:09:39 PST 2005

On Dec 17, 2005, at 2:23 PM, eleventhvolume wrote:

> I've inherited a G3 Powerbook in fine physical condition - it's a
> firewire
> model with the semi-transparent keyboard. Lovely piece of kit,
> arguably as
> elegant as the current Powerbooks. Two problems: firstly it won't
> start up
> and secondly it has a zip drive instead of a cd drive. My two
> questions are
> - if I get it repaired, will I be able to install OSX on it by doing
> target-disk mode from my Albook?

Yes. You may even be able to buy a DVD module for it on ebay or used
Mac sites.

Here's one that's a little too expensive:
<http://www.pbfixit.com/cart/catalog/
product_45_G3_Lombard_or_Pismo_6x_DVD_Drive.html>

> - will OSX run serviceably on the machine or will it be painfully
> slow?
> If the answer's positive on both these counts I'll go ahead and get it
> fixed.

I have Tiger running on a 500Mhz Pismo like yours. Runs fine. It was
my work computer for 5 years. Steadily upgraded from 10.0. It does
have 640 MB of RAM though...

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net