[X4U] OT - Secure Web Page Validation Problem

Milton van der Veen miltonlist at hurontel.on.ca
Sat Dec 17 20:17:05 PST 2005

I look after a web site for Sleeping Children Around the World. We
use PayPal for credit card donations and had to set up a sequence of
secure pages on our web site to handle that. We use our ISPs secure
server to save money.

But I keep getting people using Firefox browser who tell me they're
getting the HTML code in their browser instead of the rendered page.
<https://host.zerowebhosting.com/scaw/secure/index.shtml>

I've tried to validate the page with the W3C Validation service and I
get:
"Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content
type is text/plain, which is not currently supported by this service.
The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if
you use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration.
Commonly, web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions
(such as ".html") to MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).
That you received this message can mean that your server is not
configured correctly, that your file does not have the correct
filename extension, or that you are attempting to validate a file
type that we do not support yet. In the latter case you should let us
know that you need us to support that content type (please include
all relevant details, including the URL to the standards document
defining the content type) using the instructions on the Feedback Page."

I've checked with my ISP and they assure me that their server is set
up correctly. They also tell me that the page is coded correctly. But
I still get regular complaints ... especially now as the giving
season is here.

Is there someone with HTML and XHTML knowledge who would be kind
enough to check the source of my page to see if there is some anomaly
that neither I nor my ISP is aware of. It's frustrating to tell
people "Use the Internet Explorer browser. It will render the page
correctly."

Any hints would be appreciated.

Milton van der Veen