[X4U] back-up strategy (was: back-up software)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Dec 19 16:08:08 PST 2005

On 12/19/05, Jan Melichar <janmel at mac.com> wrote:

> I wonder what back up strategies people have. I don't mean data but
> system and applications. I ask partly because I don't know how it is
> that the system accumulates problems.
>
> Finally after many years, earlier this year, I made  bootable copy of
> the system, applications and home folder  (all of which live on a
> drive exclusive to them)  on a separate drive which seemed the
> sensible thing to do. When the Mac ground to a halt and refused all
> attempts at resuscitation the other day I could of course get on with
> work while starting from the cloned system but it also showed up a
> flaw in my backup plans. Since the time I cloned the system all kinds
> of bits and pieces and applications have been added to the 'active'
> system and its seemed that it would probably be quicker to archive
> and reinstall and reset serial numbers and so on rather that clone
> the clone so to speak and reinstall all those 'bits and pieces'.
>
> Being able to get on with work when the active system gives up the
> ghost it invaluable but being able to clone the clone would be even
> better. So here is the question how do errors accumulate. I could, to
> avoid the process above,  simply update the clone (the one I have I
> made at the time of installing a fresh system) but might I not be
> introducing errors this way?  Anyone any thoughts on this?

I recommend recloning anytime you've added an update, ran the system awhile,
and are assured that the update hasn't fouled anything up. That should preclude
introducing errors, of which corrupted preference files or cache files are the
main culprits. Most backup programs don't copy the cache files, so the most
likely errors are corrupt preference files. Checking them with something like
Preferential Treatment, repairing the disk and permissions, and then cloning so
minimize those.

Everyone has their own routine-some do it a couple of times a day, some once a
day, some never. You need to come up with a plan and then investigate the
various software packages to determine what's best for you. The average home
user can probably get away with recloning after an update. Data files don't
need cloning, you can just drag & drop them.